Visa Requirements

Entry Visa Requirements

Depending on your nationality you will probably need an entry visa to visit the countries where we operate. Some visas can be obtained on arrival, and others in advance by applying online or contacting the country's embassy or consulate in your home country. 
General visa information
The visa application process is usually very straightforward, but you should check visa requirements immediately. Normally volunteers only need tourist visas when participating in our projects, but every country has different visa requirements and the length of stay they grant can vary. 
Since visa requirements can change, we strongly recommend that you double check the appropriate government’s visa requirements to determine what applies to you. It is the volunteer's responsibility to arrange an entry visa and the following information should be used a guide only.

Passports need to be valid for the time of you trip and many countries often require up to six months validity. Empty pages in your passport also may be required for a full page visa.

For an extensive guide of visa requirements:

Wikipedia visas by country


Volunteers from New Zealand and most Western European countries will automatically be granted a 90 day tourist visa on arrival at Cordoba or Buenos Aires international airports. Nationals of Australia, USA and Canada must pay a fee prior to arrival, and present confirmation of this payment to immigration officials.

You will need to complete a tourist card on arrival, one copy of which you must keep and present to immigration officials when you leave the country. These cards are usually supplied by airline staff on the plane to Argentina.

For further information:

Wikipedia Argentina visa requirements


Visas are easily obtained on arrival at Siem Reap and Phnom Penh international airports. Visas are also available at border crossings with Thailand and Vietnam, but not always with Laos.

A tourist 'T' visa costs US$30 (or $37 if obtained online) for 30 days and can be extended once while in Cambodia for another 30 or 60 days only.

An ordinary 'E' type visa (previously called a 'business visa') costs US$35 for 30 days on arrival. With this visa, you can apply for a UG-visa once in Cambodia which allows you to stay for 6 more months. This is easily done through travel agents and requires little more than paying the fee.

Be aware that a passport with at least six months validity is required. You will also need to provide immigration with a passport size photograph.

You can obtain a tourist visa online at Cambodia online e-visa. This has an administration fee but will save time at the airport:

For further information:

Wikipedia Cambodia visa requirements

Most nationalities can stay in Colombia for 180 days. On arrival in Colombia the immigration official will stamp your passport with a free 30, 60 or 90 day visa (this is entirely at the official's discretion). If you wish to stay for 90 days you should ask for a 90 day visa on arrival.
If you require a visa extension whilst in Colombia, you can visit an immigration office one week before your visa expires and pay approximately US$35 for an extra month up to a maximum of 180 days. 

For further information:

Wikipedia Colombia visa requirements

Costa Rica
Volunteers from most countries will receive a 90 day tourist visa on arrival at San Jose international airport. You must have a current valid passport and return ticket to exit Costa Rica, and your passport must be valid for six months beyond your entry date.
You will need to complete a tourist card upon entry. These cards are usually supplied by airline staff on the plane to Costa Rica. An exit fee of US$29 is also required.  

For further information:
To volunteer in Indonesia, you will require a 'Social - Cultural' visa. 

You will need to apply for this visa before you travel from the Indonesian embassy in your country. You will get a 60 days visit, monthly extendable in immigration to a total stay of 6 months.
A single entry Social-Culture Visa is valid if presented within 3 (three) months from the date of issue.
You will need to complete an application form, submit supporting documentation and pay a fee (check your consulate for the amount). You may will also require proof that you are leaving Indonesia on the specified date e.g. flight itinerary, or letter from an employer or student body confirming your return home. 

Your passport needs to be valid for at least six months after you enter Indonesia.

For further information:

Most nationalities receive a free 30 day visa on arrival at several international borders to Laos, including Vientiane and Luang Prabang airports, and the Friendship Bridge between Nong Kahi, Thailand, and Vientiane in Laos. However, it is important to check this with your embassy as the borders that provide visas on arrivals can differ by country. The cost for your visa on arrival should be around $US35, depending on your nationality. A passport with at least a six month validity, and two passport photos are required. For long stays you will most likely need to arrange a visa from your home country with the Laos Consulate or travel agency.

You only need a tourist visa, as volunteer work does not require a business visa.

Visa extensions
Most nationalities can extend their 30-day tourist visa up to an additional 60 days for a fee of US$2 per day through the Department of Immigration in Vientiane.
For further information:
Wikipedia Laos visa requirements

Nationals from most countries (including UK, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and most EU countries) receive a three month single entry visa on arrival. This is the simplest visa, and easily renewed by leaving Malaysia and re-entering. Your passport must have at least six months validity, and be in good condition as immigration may refuse entry if your passport is in any way damaged.
Malaysia does not recognise dual nationality, so technically you can be refused entry if you are found with passports of different nationality. If you are a dual national it is advisable to enter Malaysia on the same passport you used for your last country of departure.
For further information:
Most nationalities can obtain a free visa on arrival in Peru. The immigration official will stamp your passport with a free 30, 60, 90 or 183 day visa (this is entirely at the official's discretion, so ask for your required duration). To extend your visa whilst in Peru, you can cross the Bolivian border near Lake Titicaca, and re-enter Peru the following day for a new free visa. 
Foreigners are only allowed to stay in Peru for a maximum of 180 days per year on a tourist visa. 

For further information:
Most nationalities receive a free 30 day visa on arrival in Thailand if entering via air. If arriving by land, however, some nationalities only recieve a 15 day visa on arrival, although this can be extended one time while you are in the country. A passport with at least six months validity is required. For longer stays you will most likely need to arrange a visa in your home country through the Thai Consulate or a travel agency. 
You will only need a tourist visa, as volunteer work does not require a special business visa. 

For further information:

Please be aware that Globalteer is not responsible for information provided on external websites and it is always the volunteers responsibility to obtain the correct visa.