What a year for Globalteer!
The new year is almost upon us, and lots of people will be glad to see the back of 2016 –but thankfully we’ve still got many reasons to celebrate it and lots to look forward to in 2017!
Firstly, we like to thank all our staff, volunteers, donors and project partners who have contributed to so many success stories this year – we couldn’t have done it without your help and on-going support. We’ve placed over 500 volunteers this year, across 9 countries in more projects than we’ve ever had before. And our volunteers continue to contribute to real impact at all of our fantastic projects.
So, we’d like to share with you not only our top 5 highlights from 2016, but also share 5 things we’re looking forward to in 2017!
1. Our newest volunteer programme – our Northern Thailand Elephant sanctuary
- opened its doors to volunteers in December this year. It is truly a volunteer project that is suitable for anyone – old, young, groups and families. It’s a beautiful haven for four rescued Elephants
, a sanctuary like no other and has both budget and upscale accommodation for volunteers! Sign up for this project here.
2. The ladies at our Women’s Empowerment
project have never been so busy and we couldn’t be prouder of the ladies and the volunteers. With the opening of the project’s new shop
in the bustling lanes near Pub Street, Siem Reap, the ladies are creating and selling beautiful bespoke products for passers-by, to new luxury hotels. Watch out for more reports coming soon from this brilliant project. Sign up for this project here.
3. With the help of a very generous donor, our Healthy Lunch Programme
at our Peru Community
project is now up and running, serving a hearty and nutritional lunch every weekday to 50 children.
4. One of our longest partner schools at our Cambodia Community
project reached its milestone10th Anniversary in October.
The students, teachers, parents and Globalteer staff had a week-long celebration, culminating in a wonderful party at the school.
5. We broke the record for the largest group of volunteers in one trip we’ve ever had! In the summer, we had 15 secondary school students
and teachers from the UK volunteer at our Community Project in Cusco, Peru
. You can read their inspiring stories here
And here’s 5 exciting things we’re looking forward to in 2017!
1. We’re very excited to share the news that our Food and Farming
project is expanding! For 2017one of our partners is opening a second farm
, as part of their family focused holistic community programme for former street children which also means that they need more hands to help out! So we are looking for more volunteers! Sign up for this project here.
2. After a grueling 18 months of applications, disappointment, reapplications and more disappointment, one of our partner community projects in Cambodia has finally received permission to build a brand new school
. With four new classrooms, a new sports field, bigger kitchen, and new members of staff, it’s a really exciting time and means we can provide an even better education for the brilliant children at the project. We will also need more volunteers, so why not apply now and be part of his exciting time?
3. 2017 also sees the launch of our Cambodia Combination placements
! If you’re finding it difficult to choose just one of the fantastic projects we support in Siem Reap, then we now have a simple solution. You can now combine placements at any two or more of our projects in Siem Reap and spread the love a little bit further. We organise everything for you - it couldn’t be easier. Find out more here!
4. In 2017 we will be launching an initiative to cater for solo travellers who really want to volunteer but would rather join a group than travel alone. Starting with our Cambodia, Peru, and Colombia Community
projects and our new Northern Thailand Elephant Sanctuary
near Chiang Rai, solo travelers will be able to join small, ready-made groups of volunteers sharing a common interest – to help communities in need! Watch this space as we will be announcing dates very soon.
5. And finally, we hope that 2017 will be the first year ever that we place more than 600 amazing volunteers. We are hoping to add more new projects too so keep following us on Facebook
, sign up for our newsletter
and check into our website
to see the ways that we can help you to help others!